Friday Night Sew In

Th_Fridaynight4-Page001 I stitched quite a bit yesterday. We're still on our official holiday and the weather yesterday was just terrible – thunder, lightning and lots and lots of rain! We cancelled any outdoor plans and stayed indoors so I started stitching a bit earlier than I would otherwise have done. 

I was going to work on Badger Cottage from my couple of days with Lynette Anderson but these sweet snowflakes of Dawn's were calling to me instead. I managed to complete two of them – the third just needs stitching onto its background and then the stitchery completing. This is a free BOM called Frosty Flakes that Dawn is offering. It is one snowflake per week for 9 weeks and there are 3 already available to stitch.

2108-1 

2108-2

 I finished off one of my blocks for the Christmas Story quilt as well – there wasn't a lot of stitching left to do on it…just the star, the cute sheep and most of the houses, so it didn't take very long at all. I've just the star left to stitch for this now, my plan was to have it all stitched by the end of the summer holidays so I'm on track there πŸ™‚

2108-3 

I'll be finishing off that third hexagon snowflake this evening and maybe a little of Badger Cottage. Usually I stitch my hexagons together using the Inklingo method so there are no papers involved. For the snowflakes, as they were to be appliqued onto the background I printed off some 1/2" papers and did them that way. I was also given a tip to glue the fabric to the papers instead of basting. I wasn't sure about that really but thought I'd give it a go just to see how it works as I have 3/4" papers to make the Badger Cottage pencil case (I don't have the 3/4" Inklingo hexagons). I used the tiniest bit of glue – the Sewline glue, thinking that it would make it easier to get the papers out. It was rather tricky to remove the papers and I think it quite possible that any time saved by glueing was lost while trying to remove the papers and restore the hexagons to their proper shape. The glue was so determined to hang onto the fabric in a couple of instances that it ripped it. Maybe it's because they're such tiny hexagons? I don't know but I certainly wouldn't like to struggle as I did with a quilt's worth of papers to remove so I think the hexagons for the pencil case will get basted on as normal…I wish I had the 3/4" Inklingo !

We're off to shop for school shoes today so I'll need a good stitch later on to recover from that joy, lol!

 

 

 

Advertisements
This entry was posted in Applique, Elefantz Christmas Story, Frosty Flakes. Bookmark the permalink.

4 Responses to Friday Night Sew In

  1. Nicky says:

    Your FNSI stitching looks great – love those little snowflakes.

  2. Carole says:

    Those snowflakes are cute but I do love your Christmas story quilt. That block is lovely!

  3. cardygirl says:

    Love those snowflakes! I have been using the glue pen with hexies & haven’t had a problem…perhaps it is because they are so small?

  4. Elly Dunbar says:

    I did the first FF with EPPing using some paper templates I’d bought ages ago. But then a wonderful friend bought me the 1/2inch Inklingo collection for my BD and I’ve done the rest with that. Cyn has a wonderful tutorial on her blog of how to get around the problem of then appliqueing it to the background:- http://cynsquiltedtravels.blogspot.com/
    I had printed off 6 seamless ones on FP and used them pressed to the outer hexagons but Cyn’s method looks a lot better and I’ll try that next week πŸ™‚ I’ve got number 3 and 4 ready to applique and embroider.. πŸ™‚ This is a fun project! πŸ™‚

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s