Woolly Adventures and Low Volume Experiment

I’ve taken a break from working on the LHN Mystery Sampler to play with a couple of other projects  for the last week or so. Last year, I bought the Summer Block of the Week from Primitive Gatherings. I couldn’t start on the blocks at the time as the background fabric for the blocks hadn’t arrived. When it did – I didn’t have the correct thread and never got around to ordering it. I rectified that a couple of weeks ago and decided to get started on the blocks. This quilt is all wool applique and while I’ve done plenty of applique and have used wool felt before, I’ve never used actual wool fabric so this is a new adventure. Although there’s a small amount of wool fabric available in the UK there doesn’t seem to be much so a kit was a good way for me to try out this type of applique.

This is block one…

021013-2

 

The colours are wonderfully rich and there is some patterning on many of the woollens but it’s difficult to see that in the photo. There’s a variety of stitches used – blanket stitch, French knots, Stem stitch and cross stitch. It was a really enjoyable make and I’m looking forward to doing the stitching on block 2 which I’ve already prepared.

My second little adventure was using low volume patterned fabrics as a background. Late last year I joined in a swap for low volume fabrics with no idea as to what I would use them for. I received a lovely selection of fabrics and had the urge to play with them last week. Catherine needed a little mat for her bedside table so that seemed the perfect size of project to begin with. It’s a simple little thing just with the low volume squares stitched together in rows to make the background and a Dresden plate stitched over the top. I wanted to free motion quilt it but my sewing machine is playing up when I FMQ (skipping stitches, breaking threads) so I had to go with some straight line quilt – actually, I think it suits the style of the design. My machine has been arguing over the FMQing for a while now so I think it’s time to take it into the shop for a good service and look over to see what the problem is.

Here’s the mini quilt…

021013-1

I’ve also been stitching on my hexagon quilt a bit – I think there are about 16 flowers left to stitch together so the end is in sight! I’m looking forward to ordering up the border fabric for it – I’ve decided on some Oakshott Lipari. Better crack on with a bit more of the mystery sampler first though 🙂

Advertisements
This entry was posted in 2013 Stitching, Applique, Dresden Plates, Low Volume and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

3 Responses to Woolly Adventures and Low Volume Experiment

  1. Carole says:

    They’re both beautiful Tree. The low volume one is really effective 🙂

  2. Nicky says:

    Love the wool block, and the low volume looks gorgeous.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s